Saturday, December 6, 2014

Massachusetts Courthouses

The John Adams Courthouse, built between 1886 and 1894, was formerly known as the Suffolk County Courthouse.  It was renamed for the second president in 2005 after restoration work between 2001 and 2005.  It is listed on both the state and national historical registers.  An ornamental molding now sits on the ground level.

The Edward W. Brooke Courthouse, completed in 2000, was named for the Massachusetts U.S. Senator (1967-1979), the first African-American U.S. Senator elected by popular vote.  Brooke had previously served as a member of the U.S. House of Representatives and as Massachusetts Attorney General.

No comments:

Post a Comment